Build over Agreement Regulations

A Build Over Agreement (BOA) is essentially a legal document between a homeowner and their local council or water authority that allows the homeowner to build over or close to an existing sewer or water pipe. This document is put in place to ensure that the new construction work does not interfere with or damage any existing infrastructure.

BOAs are becoming an increasingly common part of the planning process for homeowners who are considering building work on their property. The regulations surrounding BOAs can vary depending on the local authority, so it is important to ensure that you are aware of the specific requirements in your area.

The first step in obtaining a BOA is to contact your local council or water authority. They will usually require you to submit detailed plans of your proposed construction work, which they will then review to ensure that it meets all relevant regulations and requirements. This process can take several weeks, so it is important to factor this into your overall planning timeline.

One of the key requirements for a BOA is that the proposed construction work must not cause any damage to the existing sewer or water pipe. This means that the homeowner will be responsible for carrying out regular inspections of the pipe to ensure that there is no damage or leakage. If any damage is detected, the homeowner is required to notify the local council or water authority immediately.

Another important consideration when applying for a BOA is the type of construction work that is being carried out. For example, if you are planning to build an extension or garage over an existing sewer pipe, you may be required to install special ventilation systems to prevent the build-up of dangerous gases. Similarly, if you are planning to build near a water pipe, you may need to take additional precautions to avoid any contamination of the water supply.

Overall, the regulations surrounding BOAs can be complex and varied, so it is important to seek advice from a qualified professional such as a builder, architect or surveyor. By following these guidelines and working closely with your local council or water authority, you can ensure that your construction work is carried out safely and in compliance with all relevant regulations.